Currently, the world is experiencing serious changes in climate patterns – a phenomenon that has been happening since the late 20th century. These changes have been attributed to increased levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide emanating from fossil fuels.
Climate change has led to many undesirable effects, such as frequent and severe drought, heatwaves, storms, melting glaciers, warming oceans, rising sea levels, and more. In this article, you will find the 38 best climate change quotes to inspire you to take part in preventing climate change.
Facts about Climate Change
Climate change is one of the most important debates going on around the world, with many young people fearing that their future is at risk. Many governments and non-governmental organizations have therefore launched serious fights against climate change.
You can also take part in this noble cause, but before you join in the fight, you need to understand important facts about climate change.
Understanding the most important facts about climate change will help you to engage in conversations around what’s going on and what needs to be done to prevent further changes to the climate and stop global warming. Here are important facts about climate change that should always be at your fingertips.
• Since 1950, the rise in global temperatures has been caused by human activities, such as burning fossil fuels for energy, intense agriculture, cutting down of trees and forests without replacing them. These human activities discharge greenhouse gases that trap heat in the atmosphere, causing a steady rise in global temperatures.
• The greenhouse effect determines the average temperature of the earth. When the greenhouse gases are released into the atmosphere, they absorb the radioactivity from the sun, preventing the heat from leaving the atmosphere. This is commonly referred to as the greenhouse effect.
• In the last century, global temperatures have risen by about 1° Celsius. Although it is not easy to notice the rise in temperatures, especially since it has gone up by one degree, its impact on the planet has been massive.
In the Paris Agreement, governments and other stakeholders agreed to work tirelessly to keep the rise in global temperature below 2°C.
• The United States is the second-largest contributor to carbon dioxide emissions into the atmosphere after China. This is despite the fact that the US only hosts 4.4 percent of the world’s population. Ireland is the third-largest emitter of greenhouse gases in the world.
• Climate change has had a major impact on the Arctic sea, causing its ice and glaciers to melt. In 1910, the Glacier National Park in Montana had 150 glaciers, but a recent recount has revealed that only 26 glaciers are remaining.
The continued melting of sea ice and glaciers is causing a rise in sea levels and is affecting people who depend on water from melting glaciers for their domestic needs.
What Is the Best Slogan for Climate Change?
In an attempt to encourage people to take action against climate change, individuals, organizations, and governments have come up with numerous taglines, sayings, and slogans. Here are some of the most common climate change slogans:
• Global Warming Is Real
• Global Warming Is Damn Hot
• Don’t Burn Your Kid’s Future. Stop Global Warming.
• Global Warming, Bad For Farming
• Global Warming, A Global Warning
• Want To Get Cooked?
• Global Warming Is Not a Hoax
• Stop Burning Yourself
• Global Warming Will Cook You.
• Being Cool Has Never Been So Hot
List of 38 Best Quotes about Climate Change
1. “Although the magnitude of climate change may make individuals feel helpless, individual action is critical for meaningful change.” – Mia Armstrong.
2. “The technology is here. The people are ready. Scientists have spoken. Progressive businesses are stepping forward. Now we need governments to take climate action!” – WWF International.
3. “While the problem can sometimes seem overwhelming, we can turn things around – but we must move beyond climate talk to climate action.” – Ted Turner.
4. “Action is the antidote to despair.” – Edward Abbey.
5. “A society built on the narrow definition of self-interest we have today is not capable of meeting the big challenges of our time.” – Tosh Szatow.
6. “We are dealing with issues that are critical to human nature. There has to be a way to come together and do it right, to protect the environment and human rights.” – Sister Sheila Kinsey.
7. “The climate crisis is also a crisis of culture, and thus of imagination.” – Amitav Ghosh.
8. “The environment is where we all meet; where all of us have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share.” – Lady Bird Johnson.
9. “I’m often asked whether I believe in global warming. I now just reply with the question: Do you believe in gravity?” – Neil deGrasse Tyson.
10. “Climate change isn’t an ‘issue’ to add to the list of things to worry about, next to health care and taxes. It is a civilizational wake-up call.” – Naomi Klein.
11. “I feel that there is a lack of seriousness. Perhaps world leaders do not realize the urgency of the situation. We have a lot of ideas, but as someone said, ‘ideas without funding is mere hallucination.‘” – Imran Khan.
12. “Avoiding climate breakdown will require cathedral thinking. We must lay the foundation while we may not know exactly how to build the ceiling.” – Greta Thunberg.
13. “It’s so evident that we are destroying Mother Earth. This is not the problem of one country or a few countries; it is the problem of mankind. We need to work together to stop this. Otherwise, our future generations will simply disappear.” – Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.
14. “I’d put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don’t have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that.” – Thomas Edison.
15. “The earth is not dying. It is being killed, and the people killing it have names and addresses.” – Bruce Duncan Phillips.
16. “All things share the same breath – the beast, the tree, the man. The air shares its spirit with all the life it supports.” – Chief Seattle.
17. “We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.” – Native American Proverb.
18. “We are living on this planet as if we had another one to go to.” – Terri Swearingen.
19. “What will save us is not technology or science. What will save us is the ethical transformation of our society.” – Carmelite Father Eduardo Agosta Scarel.
20. “Reducing greenhouse gases requires honesty, courage and responsibility.” – Pope Francis (@Pontifex), 19 June 2015.
21. “There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew.” – Marshall McLuhan.
22. “Pollution and climate change by excessive burning of fossil fuels are real threats, not the people who warn that we must take these threats seriously.” – David Suzuki.
23. “The Earth is a fine place and worth fighting for.” – Ernest Hemingway.
24. “This is not just about the environment, it’s about the community, it’s about jobs, it’s about justice.” – Eddie Bautista, 21 September 2014.
25. “They’re polluting the planet for free, and you’re paying the price.” – Christine Milne.
Climate Change Quotes from Influential Personalities and World Leaders
26. “A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt.
27. “Clean air and water, and a livable climate are inalienable human rights. And solving this crisis is not a question of politics. It is our moral obligation.” – Leonardo DiCaprio.
28. “The warnings about global warming have been extremely clear for a long time. We are facing a global climate crisis. It is deepening. We are entering a period of consequences.” – Al Gore.
29. “The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” – Albert Einstein.
30. “Saving our planet, lifting people out of poverty, advancing economic growth… these are one and the same fight.” – Ban Ki-moon, Former Secretary-General, UN.
31. “We must face up to an inescapable reality: the challenges of sustainability simply overwhelm the adequacy of our responses.” – Kofi A. Annan, Former Secretary-General, UN.
32. “Twenty-five years ago people could be excused for not knowing much, or doing much, about climate change. Today we have no excuse.” – Desmond Tutu.
33. “Climate change is accelerating. It threatens our wellbeing, our security, and our economic development.” – Angela Merkel.
34. “By polluting the oceans, not mitigating CO 2 emissions, and destroying our biodiversity, we are killing our planet. Let us face it, there is no planet B.” – Emmanuel Macron.
35. “When nature is viewed as a source of profit and gain, this has serious consequences for society.” – Pope Francis.
36. “We are the first generation to feel the effect of climate change and the last generation who can do something about it.” – Barack Obama.
37. “What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” – Dr. Jane Goodall.
38. “We know that if we don’t confront climate change, there will be no hope of ending poverty or boosting shared prosperity. Furthermore, the longer we delay, the higher the cost will be to do the right thing for our planet and our children.” – Dr. Jim Yong Kim.